Monday, December 10, 2007

Update on the Cancer Fighting Front

First off, let me say thanks to those who have been helping me pray through these steps toward battling cancer. God is hearing and is answering!

We saw the surgeon today and just as we had been praying, God began drying up the drainage that was seeping out my side through the tubes and into a bulb. It has been hitting right at 100cc every 24 hours. I requested prayer specifically that it would begin to dry up because I knew it had to slow way down from that for the surgeon to even consider removing the tubes.

A couple of times today I checked on it and I knew that it was draining way, WAY slower. I just didn't know if it was slow enough!

We went to the surgeon to have the 32 staples taken out of my chest (thanks for counting, Lauren). The nurse looked at the amount of drainage and said she doubted if he would allow the tubes to be removed. Then the doctor came in, took one glance at it and asked when it had been emptied last. We told him 2:00 on Sunday. ...so it had been 26 hours, and without even blinking he said, "Get it out of there...let's go ahead and get it on out." Wooo-hooo!!!

This is such a tremendous blessing to me because of the whole I can't move any direction without feeling like I was being pinched in the tender area on my side about 8 inches below my arm-pit...a very literal pain in the side!!

I won't lie...it hurt like crazee having those things pulled out because there were 12"-16" on each one embedded into my chest. The nurse said, "I'm going to do these one at a time and when I get hold of each one, we're going to go fast...just hold your breath...Ready? Here's the first one, let's go!"

I did have to fight back tears. I squeezed Rusty's hand hard and he wiped the sweat on my fore-head. I let my breath out right when she said, "Here we go with the second one...stay strong!" Yeee-owww--cccchhhhh!!!

But, praise God, they are out! I'd appreciate your prayers that all the drainage in the chest would just go ahead and just dry up so that it won't collect into a pool internally. If it did, it will get really sore and also runs the risk of infection....which they would end up having to drain off with a needle. Now don't get me wrong...I've prayed all along that God would give me the grace to deal with whatever today held. ...even if it meant the tubes needed to stay in longer...so I'm not doubting now...just soliciting the added prayer coverage.

I do feel like a dog off a leash!!! Life is sooooo much easier without the drainage tubes! I'm looking forward to lying all the way down tonight to sleep! Yippee!!!

And the surgeon said he needed to see me again...are you ready for this??.... in SIX MONTHS!!!

Thanks for the prayers, y'all! And keep 'em coming!!

Humbly,

Momma Kay

2 comments:

Denira Baird Williams said...

Great news!!!!! I love u!!

Deena said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!